EU Enlargement Process
The information in this section is related to the EU Enlargement process, to which the Western Balkans countries are committed.
Enlargement Strategy and Progress reports
Each year the Commission adopts its "Enlargement package" - a set of documents explaining its policy on EU enlargement and reporting on progress achieved in each country. Most importantly, this package includes the annual Enlargement Strategy Paper which sets out the way forward for the coming year and takes stock of the progress made over the last twelve months by each candidate country and potential candidate. In addition to this strategy paper, the package contains the so-called Progress Reports in which the Commission services present their assessment of what each candidate and potential candidate has achieved over the last year.
The enlargement package is accompanied by the multi-annual indicative financial framework for the pre-accession assistance.
Joint conference on "Effective Support for Enlargement"
On 19 October the Commission and the Swedish Presidency organised a joint conference on "Effective Support for Enlargement". The joint event built on the conclusions of the previous conferences and examined broader aspects of the aid effectiveness agenda. Particular attention was given to the EU's Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA) and its articulation with assistance provided by other donors and financial institutions given its decisive role in preparing the countries for their future EU membership. Read more
Education and Training 2010 Work Programme and Education and Training 2020
The documents in this section provide a framework of ERI SEE work and more detailed work in the defined priority areas. The documents provide an overview of the "Education and Training 2010 Work Programme", Bologna and Copenhagen Process, as well as the implementation of the Dakar Framework for Action, UN Millenium Development Goals and the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development 2005 – 2014. This section also contains documents on the role of education and training beyond 2010.
EU member states and the European Commission have therefore strengthened their political cooperation. This has been done through the Education and Training 2010 work programme launched in 2001 and its follow-up, the strategic framework for European cooperation in education and training ("ET 2020") adopted by the Council in May 2009.
EU Strategy for Danube Region
The EU Strategy for the Danube Region (EUSDR) is a macro-regional strategy adopted by the European Commission in December 2010 and endorsed by the European Council in 2011. The Strategy has been jointly developed by the Commission, together with the Danube Region countries and stakeholders, in order to address common challenges together.
The Strategy seeks to create synergies and coordination between existing policies and initiatives taking place across the Danube Region.
The Strategy is defined in a Communication, which was adopted by the European Commission in December 2010. This Communication is accompanied by a detailed Action Plan, which presents the operational objectives and concrete projects and actions of the EUSDR.
More information on the Strategy can be found on the website of the European Commission - DG Regional Policy.
- Monitoring tool: A set of guidelines for assessing progress towards the Skills Vision 2020
- FRAME Regional Report: Supporting a Strategic Vision for Human Resourses Development 2014
- Education and training monitor 2014
- The Survey of Adult Skills (PIAAC): Implications for education and training policies in Europe 2013
- EC-Early Childhood Education and Care- Providing all our children with the best start for the world of tomorrow (February, 2011)
- CEDEFOP-Vocational education and training for the common good - The macrosocial benefits of VET (2011)
- WUS-Higher education in South eastern Europe (2010)
- An Agenda for new skills and jobs: A European contribution towards full employment (November 2010)
- Youth on the Move initiative – an integrated approach in response to the challenges young people face (November 2010)
- Education for sustainable development (November 2010)
- Youth on the Move - An initiative to unleash the potential of young people to achieve smart, sustainable and inclusive growth in the European Union (September 2010)
- The social dimension of education and training. Conclusions of the Council (May 2010)
- The European Higher Education Area (EHEA) in a global context- Report on overall developments at the European, national and institutional levels (February 2009)
- Eurydice-Education on Online Safety in Schools in Europe (December,2009)
- EC-Future priorities for enhanced European cooperation in vocational education and training (VET)(January,2009)
- A strategic framework for European cooperation in education and training ( "ET 2020"). Council Conclusions (May 2009).
- Messages from the EYC Council in the field of education as a contribution to the discussion on the post-2010 Lisbon Strategy. Council messages (2009).
- Developing the role of education in a fully- functioning knowledge triangle. Council conclusions (November 2009).
- Enhancing partnerships between education and training institutions and social partners, in particular employers, in the context of lifelong learning. Council Conclusions (May 2009).
- EC-Improving competences for the 21st Century- an Agenda for European Cooperation on Schools (July,2008)
- EC-Promoting creativity and innovation through education and training (May, 2008)
- Delivering lifelong learning for knowledge, creativity and innovation (2008 joint progress report of the Council and the Commission on the implementation of the "Education and Training 2010 Work Programme", February 2008)
- "Education and Training" as a key driver of the Lisbon Strategy (Adoption of Resolution, November 2007)
- World Bank-Education quality and economic growth (2007)
- EC-A coherent framework of indicators and benchmarks for monitoring progress towards the Lisbon objectives in education and training (February, 2007)
- Eurydice-Specific educational measures to promote all forms of giftedness at school in Europe (June,2006)
- Modernising education and training: a vital contribution to prosperity and social cohesion in Europe (2006 Joint Interim Report of the Council and the Commission on progress under the "Education and Training 2010 work programme", February 2006)
- EC-Mobilising the brainpower of Europe- enabling universities to make their full contribution to the Lisbon Strategy (April,2005)
- "Education and Training 2010" – The success of the Lisbon Strategy hinges on urgent reforms (Joint Interim Report of the Council and the Commission on the implementation of the detailed work programme on the follow-up of the objectives of education and training systems in Europe, February 2004)
- EC-The role of the universities in the Europe of knowledge (February,2003)
- EC-Tackling early school leaving- A key contribution to the Europe 2020 Agenda (January,2003)
- EC-Investing efficiently in education and training-Investing efficiently in education and training-an imperative for Europe (January,2003)
- EC-European benchmarks in education and training (November, 2002)
- Detailed work programme on the follow-up of the objectives of Education and training systems in Europe (Work programme of the Education Council in cooperation with the Commission, February 2002)
- Future objectives of education and training systems (Education Council report, February 2001)
The Bologna Process Independent Assessment
European University Association Trends Reports
European Students' Union Reports
National Reports can be found in the Official Bologna Process website 2010-2012
Dakar Framework for Action
UN Millenium Development Goals
United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development 2005-2014